No matter what tanning product you use dark, splotchy, orange palms are a tell tale sign that you have fake tanned. We are now in an era of owning it, which means some of us rather look like we used sunless tanner than expose ourselves to harmful sun rays or go out looking pale. Most people won't look at your palms and judge - those days are over.
But we get it! You want a self-tanner that is easy to apply and looks natural. CLEANTAN has you covered there with a natural gold tan. CLEANTAN concentrate is also the most powerful tanner on the market so washing hands is a must! Because it is so concentrated we have gotten a few emails about these stained hands - don't worry we've got the tips to help!
PRO TIP: We recommend washing your hands in between application areas. Example, apply to upper body and wash then apply to lower body and wash.
If you already let the tanner develop and your body looks great but you are freaking out about orange stained hands, here are the facts to know:
1.) The skin on your palms turns over faster than the skin on your body. This means you won't be stuck with dark palms for all that long compared.
2.) Palms will turn more orange and darker compared to the rest of your body. You might have woken up to orange splotchy hands and totally freaked. All tanners will penetrate the palms like this due to the nature of the skin.
3.) There are some tricks to remove tanner after it has developed.
- Dish Soap: replace your daily hand washings with dish soap. They have harsher surfactants, which we normally wouldn't recommend but under the circumstances it can help.
- Apply Urea and or lactic acid lotion to the palms only. Usually strong acid or urea lotion is a no-no because it increases cell turn over and will decrease the length of you tan. In this case, it is exactly what you want! Don't rush out to buy tan remover as it usually just relies on these ingredients anyway.
Self Tanning is an art that you can get better at each time. Often people give-up tanning with the littlest fail. Don't give up on tanning instead become a pro with these tips from our in-house tanning experts:
PRO TANNING TIPS TO AVOID ORANGE HANDS:
- Moisturize your hands and cuticles before applying self-tanners. Even if the directions say no need to moisturize first know that this excludes really dry parts of your skin. If you have dry feet or elbows hit them with moisturizer too!
- Wash hands with your strongest hand or dish soap immediately after application of self-tanner. If you apply slowly wash your hands between sections.
- Apply with a mitt. We made CLEANTAN easy to apply with no mitt necessary. All you need to do is wash your hands right after application. Note: even if you use a mitt wash your hands because some can seep through most cloth types.
- Lemon Juice can help. If you start to see dark hands early on, cut a lemon in half and rub it onto the oops areas. This can work for more than just the palms - places like ankles and elbows too.
- We also love baby wipes to help remove tanner if you happen to have them around. Some ingredients in the baby wipes help to lift skin cells and remove self-tanners.
We hope this helps you achieve a flawless finish next time you apply a self-tanner. Remember: laugh at yourself and mistakes -just learn from them. You can rock any look with a confident attitude!